It was the final film on the list, so I’d love to say that it ended things on a high, but it really didn’t. I downloaded the film after it came up on some kind of online list – weirdest films, or something like that (probably this one, actually, as I’ve now watched a lot of those!). It sounded interesting and it’s somehow got a decent rating on iMDb, so I was expecting something pretty good. I was hugely disappointed. There are a few interesting ideas in it, which could have made for a good film if done entirely differently! The tone of it is really confused – it sometimes seemed like it was trying to be artsy and thought-provoking, but then bits of it were completely facile and slapstick. There’s also a disturbing level of misogyny running through it, which was possibly less jarring back in 2006, but makes for a decidedly uncomfortable watch now. I did briefly think that this might be intentional, but that optimism didn’t last long.
Here are the thoughts I had whilst watching it:
- It’s whats-her-name from Eastenders
- Why would you ask that??
- Emilia Fox!
- Ugh, I thought he seemed like a creepy dude
- I’m not really taking to him as a protagonist
- Ha ha ha, I’ll never look at those shampoos in the same way
- It’s all gone a bit Wild Ones music video
- Hmm, bit creepy
- OK, yeah, definitely creepy. I guess we’re not meant to like the protagonist. At least I hope we’re not.
- Is that the guy from Teachers? *checks* Yes!
- There are uncomfortable levels of misogyny in this film. It feels like it should be an older film than it actually is.
- Ughhhhh, how and why did I read positive reviews of this? I hope it gets better.
- Ah, the extent to which I don’t care about this football game. Am I meant to care? They’re all awful people.
- Is a monster going to get him? Fingers crossed.
- X-Filesy music
- Ooh, OK that was kinda intriguing
- Did they need permission from Sainsbury’s to make this film? Because it doesn’t paint them in a good light.
- I wish I could speed time up so that this film had finished already
- It’s him! From Fringe!
- Of course that’s what’s happened
- This film’s ridiculous
- I’m not sure if that’s flattering or hella-creepy. I think more the latter.
- Disappointing choice as a final film
As I have a love of lists and charts, I’m going to be ranking these 49 films by personal level of preference. I don’t think it’s too much of a spoiler to say that this film won’t be high on the list! I’ll be posting the list on here tomorrow. Then on Wednesday I’m planning to post my Top 50 Albums of the year! Mmmm lists.