A Korean and Japanese film, based on the novel Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. It’s a film that was recommended to me by a work colleague. I remember there was a BBC adaptation of Fingersmith in the noughties, though I didn’t actually watch it, so can’t compare this to that. From what I understand though, The Handmaiden is more of a re-imagining and ‘inspired by’ film, than an actual adaptation (though I did just read a synopsis of the book and they seem pretty similar). Anyway, regardless of where the story has come from, I really enjoyed it – it’s probably been my favourite of the films I’ve watched in this challenge so far.
Anyway, here are the bullet-pointed thoughts I had whilst watching it:
- I quite like the bed in the cupboard
- This is getting a bit weird
- What are you doing to her tooth?
- Nice bra
- Well, she caught on fast!
- The men in this are rather unpleasant
- What the hell? Say ‘penis’ and I’ll put my hand in your face?
- Jade-gate? Ha ha, new favourite vagina euphemism
- I could have done without ‘curtains of flesh’ though
- This might be taking eccentric to a new level
- Did he just smoke an erotic drawing?
- This is getting awesome
- Stick his penis in there!
- These men are so gross
- Oh god, it just reminded me of Belinda Blinked – time for dinner with The Duchess
- Brilliant film