This is one of the films I have on DVD but had only watched once before (prior to having it on DVD). I must have previously watched it around the time it was made available for rental, as I know I watched it at my Mum’s and that they had it on loan from the video man (back when that was still a thing). I’d remembered it being pretty strange but that I’d quite enjoyed it, even if I hadn’t really understood what was going on. I acquired it on DVD a couple of years ago when my ex was getting rid of a load of things and gave me first refusal. Happily I still enjoyed it on a second watching, plus I feel like I ‘got’ it in a way that I didn’t previously. Maybe an oddball film about existentialism was a bit much for me to fully appreciate in my early 20s.
Here are the bullet-pointed notes I made whilst watching it:
- That was an impressively sweary opening
- I love Lily Tomlin
- This film’s even weirder than I’d remembered. It’s great.
- I like the word ‘machete’
- Oh good lord, that’s a disturbing image
- Definitely one of the weirdest sex scenes ever
- Ha ha, Naomi Watts’ character seemed dull to start with, but gets awesome.
- Shania Twain!