I only watched Cabaret for the first time a few years ago. I was familiar with the songs and had seen clips of it, but somehow hadn’t ever watched the film. I now have it on DVD and really enjoyed watching it for a second time. I also saw the stage show last year, which was great.
The thoughts I had whilst watching it:
- 2 successive films with Joel Grey in. Is it weird that I mostly think of him as the lizardy dude from Buffy?
- I love this song – it reminds me of a school dance show where a group of girls danced to it. Potentially more provocative than was appropriate, but it was great. I have it on video.
- I love the Fosse dance style
- She’s not shy, is she?
- I love Sally in this scene. Classy syphilis conversation.
- Gigolo’s a great word
- A jumper with nothing underneath? I feel itchy just seeing that.
- Ah, it’s the creepy Nazi child scene.
- You can’t put a candle on a record!
- It’s disturbing how much of this is still relevant.