The first of quite a few Almodóvar films on the list (I think there are 5 in total) – mostly because I inherited a box set of 4 of his films from my ex. This is one of the ones from the box set, plus one I’d seen before, though my memory of it was very vague. I’d remembered enjoying it and thankfully enjoyed it again on 2nd viewing (possibly partly because I’d forgotten what happens). It’s about a guy who kidnaps an actress (one who has worked in porn, though that’s not really relevant) and plans to keep her captive until she falls in love with him (because obviously). In some ways it’s a lot less disturbing than that makes it sound, as it has quite a bit of humour to it too, but it does also have a definite disturbing quality. It’s hard to say much about it without it getting spoilery, so I’ll just leave you with the thoughts I had whilst watching it:
- How many of Almodóvar’s films include the making of other films?
- I think I’ve mixed up bits of this with Broken Embraces in my memory
- The wig!
- Antonio Banderas plays weird and creepy so well
- ‘My moustache will fall off’. Ha ha ha ha.
- I love how he has no inner monologue and just says whatever he’s thinking
- Why are there suddenly Nazis?
- He Man!
- Woman, what are you doing?
- There’s more weeing in this film than in most films
- This film’s so fucked up
Edit: I just checked and there were 5 films in the box set, so there are 6 of his films on the list